Friday 16 January 2015

The Faith of Birds


An early start recently reminded me of this.

I’ve always loved that old saying, apparently a Scandinavian proverb –

Faith is a bird that, feeling the dawn coming, sings while it is yet dark.

It says a lot about faith. And birds.

It reminds me of an overnight I spent in the house of friends who were away. My friends lived near a rainforest, very beautiful and lush green in the daylight.

I woke at about 4 am. It was still pitch dark. I crept down to the kitchen to get a glass of water, then back to my room and settled back into bed in the cool darkness, intending to go back to sleep.

Suddenly a tentative twitter, then a louder chirp, filled the silence. The birds were waking! It must be nearly dawn, although there was no light visible. This was too good to miss! I went back to the kitchen, made a cup of tea and began my morning time with God, while listening to one bird after another waking and calling to its mates.

Chirps, whistles, a burst of melodic song, even a call like a cat’s meow, filled the pre-dawn world. Gradually the darkness melted to grey and the shape of the forest towered above me, still black and filled with bird songs. Early light crept around the tree tops and watery sunlight slanted across the lawn.

 The birds chorused joyfully. It was a new day, alight with sunshine and birdsong!

7 comments:

  1. You were so privileged to be part of Gods early dawn greeting. The birds see what we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful. I wonder how the birds know it is nearly dawn? There is something very special about the pre dawn. I found out about it when I nursed my babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a special time. Do the birds see light before we can? or do they feel something in the air? or . . .? A bonus to feeding your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always amazed at the radar or whatever it is that enables birds to fly in and out of intricate branches, too. Yes, children do seem to run on their own set of times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely analogy for faith. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete